Sunday, January 03, 2010

Cookin' right along...

After rereading this post, I think the title ought to be "Captain Obvious." But since so many of my posts would have to be titled as such, I left it alone.

In trying to implement my resolutions for 2010, I have been focusing on a few things in my rolls lately. For one, although I never turn down training with bigger, heavier people, I am purposely allowing myself to prefer the smallest lightest guys I can find (as women are of course rarely an option.) Even if they're complete noobs. Of course, I like drilling new technique with a higher belt better.. and of course some of our instructors frown on me doing anything like "teaching" when drilling or rolling, which gets really frustrating at times.. but I also notice a little more leeway in that regard of late.

For another, rolling with newer people gives me options of trying out new techniques... thanks to tutoring from Mark, my (much more experienced) Dallas friend, I am now entirely more able to roll backwards over my shoulder, so yesterday with someone small and in their first month of training, I was able to half pull off one of the sweeps Donald taught the other night from the 93 guard. And to half pull off the no-legs triangle as well. Wooo!

On other fronts... thought I'd share the 'nana bread with you since I have been getting some requests..

Heavenly Banana Loaf Cake *by my Aunt Pat

Preheat oven to 325.

2/3 c margarine
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla
4 Tbsp sour cream
2 lg ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 c chopped walnuts
optional: chocolate chips, caramel bits

Cream margarine and sugar together. Add egg yolks, vanilla, sour cream and mashed bananas; mix well. Add flour, salt, soda - stir till just combined. Stir in nuts, chips. Beat egg whites to soft peak stage with hand mixer-- fold in to batter. Bake in large loaf pan (9 x 5 x 3)-- I usually spray it with Pam and/or line bottom only with parchment paper. Bake 1 hr 20 min at 325. Let rest in pan 10-20 min before turning out and slicing with bread knife.

1 comment:

A.D. McClish said...

I'm going to steal that banana bread recipe. It looks different from mine. Thanks for sharing!

Even though I am a noob still, I love getting the chance to try out techniques on people who are both my size and newER than me. ;) I don't think there's anything wrong with that so long as I'm not being completely selfish with the roll.

Does your school not like it when higher belts to guide the lower belts during grapples? At our school, there are some blue belts and purple belts who guide me every time I grapple with them. Some even ask me what I want to work on and then put me in that situation at different points during the grapple and force me to deal with it. Is that normal to a BJJ class?