Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Blogger/Blog reader Breakfast at the Pans--


Soooo... anyone wanna get together for some face time and a bite to eat at the Pan American Jiu Jitsu Championship? I was thinking it would be fantastic to meet you in person, maybe Sunday morning March 27, early, before blackbelt day gets started?

Last year, Caleb of Fightworks Podcast did one of these in the tourney hotel lobby and it was really nice to say hi and have a coffee with people I'd only known as a personality attached to a collection of letters on my screen. I'd love to do it again.  (And yes, I want to do another at Mundials.)


The tournament hotel seems like a good place, yeah?

Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport
18800 MacArthur Blvd.
Irvine, California


This reminds me: the registration deadline for Pans is March 16th (you can change weightclass by 5pm Cali time on the 19th.) Only $98 if you register by this Saturday March 5th. After that, it's $115.

And that muffin picture, plus my 3-a-day training regimen plus super healthy diet means I need to give you a recipe. ;)

French Breakfast Muffins (pictured above.)

1/3 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg (preferably room temperature)
1 1/2 c. AP flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. milk

Topping
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a medium-large bowl, sift together all dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir until combined, but still a bit lumpy. Don't overmix. Scoop batter into muffin tins that have sprayed with cooking spray. Using a large ice cream scoop, I got 8 medium-large muffins out of this batter; I think you could get 10-12 muffins by distributing the batter a little less generously. Bake for 20-25 muffins, or until they just start to turn a bit golden at the edges.

For the topping, mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Place melted butter in another small bowl. Dip the warm muffins in melted butter, then in cinnamon sugar. CONSUME, ENJOY, GO CRAZY!

5 comments:

Dolph said...

Hey Georgette - I'm in! What time?

Anonymous said...

Its Mikey D here Georgette. That sounds like a bunch of fun but I am in the nyc area. Are you guys coming to the New York Intl Open in April? Reading some of your political posts I know you and I would probably have some interesting back and forths as my politics seem to be the exact opposite of yours but it is all good.

Make sure you say hi over on submissioncontrol.com too.

Georgette said...

Dolph this was your idea to begin with!! :)

I gotta wait to schedule it for when the tournament agenda gets posted. I'm guessing something obscene like 7 or 8am. I will have to leave (most likely) around 8 or 9, depending on when things get started at the Bren Center, since I'll be scoring.

@Mikey-- what, you're not doing Pans!? SLACKER! hahahaha... no, I can't afford the NYOpen, it's too short a tournament-- if I worked it, my salary wouldn't cover even the airfare much less hotel etc. Otherwise I'd be really tempted! By the jits, the city, and definitely a good exchange of lighthearted political jabs ;)

Anonymous said...

mikey d here. Pans would be very cool, we have so many tournaments here in nyc area over next few months. I am doing long island pride saturday and a small tournament the next day out east on long island. I expect to be surly on monday morning.

A.D. McClish said...

I wish I could come! Maybe next year. Hope you guys have fun! :)